Letters Have No Arms have packed their bags, put their travel hats on, and moved to a new land!

You should be automatically redirected to the post you were looking for (yes, the same one!) in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.lettershavenoarms.com
and please don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Saturday, December 12, 2009

Lists and subtitutions.



photographs via Esther K.

My most played albums in 2009, according to Last.fm*:
1. Au Revoir Simone: Still Night, Still Light
2. Metric: Fantasies
3. Slow Club: Yeah So
4. The Thermals: Now We Can See
                              5. Emmy the Great: First Love

6. Sin Fang Bous: Clangour
7. Passion Pit: Manners
8. Fanfarlo: Reservoir
9. Nurses: Apple's Acre
10. Dead Man's Bones: Dead Man's Bones

12. Cymbals Eat Guitars: Why There Are Mountains
13. Casiotone for the Painfully Alone: Vs. Children
14. The Woodlands: The Woodlands
15. Animal Collective: Merriweather Post Pavillion


This top of course doesn't necessarily - actually cross that, it definitely DOES NOT  coincide with my favourite albums of 2009. First Love, for example (Emmy the Great's debut album) was a bit of a disappointment for me. Sure some of her old songs - previously unreleased but available online of course - were as good as I remembered, but the new ones left me decidedly unimpressed. The fact that the Thermals' Now We Can See is in this top is due almost exclusively to the song of the same name, which I must have played ad infinitum ever since I first heard it. The rest of the album however, apart from one or two songs, is unexceptional. And, while I enjoyed Yeah So, Fantasies, and Clangour, Fanfarlo's Reservoir should have been higher on the list than all of those if the aforementioned list were to reflect my preferences. So basically what I'm saying is that this list is just a lazy substitute. It's a lazy substitute for the Best Albums of 2009 list that we're not going to make. And we're not going to make it because, just like last year, we want to focus on individual songs rather than albums that may or may not have more than one or two good songs on them.

One album I was surprised to see on that list was the Woodlands' self-titled debut. Not because I didn't think it was great but because I hadn't realized I'd listened to it so many times. I'm glad that it did get to be there however, because that means the video we received in our inbox yesterday came just in time:



The Woodlands - Can We Stay

Related posts:

*Last.fm shows all the albums I've listened to the most during the last 12 months. I've included here only the ones released in 2009.

0 comments: