Letters Have No Arms have packed their bags, put their travel hats on, and moved to a new land!

You should be automatically redirected to the post you were looking for (yes, the same one!) in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.lettershavenoarms.com
and please don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The week Steven found himself stranded cold and alone, disconnected in a connected world (ok, my internet is down)

 
wow. damn. shit. this sucks.
What, you ask? Lack of internet. A disconnected world. A wireless-less life. A laptop without an internet connection is like a switched off escalator. Hard, cold and pretty much useless. 






























a video Letters have no Arms made while in Spain last month.
 
It's not that I've been fully internetless. Nope, I've made my local Starbucks my temporary HQ. I've got my own seat and everything. It features a splendid view to both left and right of said establishment, is near the toilet and has its own  all-important plug. Hurray. And though I'm not sure how things work across the pond, here at my Starbucks the wifi  isn't free. You've gotta pay for it. I buy 30 min packages by texting a word to a number to get another number and a word. This has led to a somewhat fragmented internet experience this week. I managed to download a little bit of the new Lost episode. And a little bit of the third season of The Wire. Nothing complete, nothing actually watchable.
 
I also managed to catch some bits and pieces of some vaguely amusing chats on Facebook , as well as participating in some of my own FB chit chat(ter).

 
At nights and over the weekend however, nothing. Just me and my early pre-internet/laptop ways. This is the state I've been in since last Thursday.
 
My mental note(pad) is also growing. Things To Look Up On Wikipedia When I Get reconnected. For example: Why are some chicken eggs white and some brown?
 
I'll leave you on that note, and a few songs.
 
The Strokes - The Modern Age
Fugazi - Waiting Room
Broken Social Scene - Superconnected
The Mary Onettes - Lost
Joy Division - Digital

 I've also been listening to the new Smog Bill Callahan album, which is amazing. Sample lyric:
 
"I used to be darker, then I got lighter, then I got dark again
Something to be seen was passing over and over me
Well it seemed like the routine case at first
With the death of the shadow came a lightness of verse
But the darkest of nights, in truth, still dazzles
And I woke myself until I'm frazzled"...

0 comments: