Letters Have No Arms have packed their bags, put their travel hats on, and moved to a new land!

You should be automatically redirected to the post you were looking for (yes, the same one!) in 5 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.lettershavenoarms.com
and please don't forget to update your bookmarks.

Friday, January 9, 2009

Other People's Songs

So we haven't done a covers post in quite a long time and were feeling quite guilty so we're gonna make up for it. And our timing is perfect because...

The Sarcastic Dharma Society
...happen to have a new covers album out. I have good news and even better news and amazing news about it, which one do you want to hear first? The good news is that we're talking covers of such artists as Julie Doiron, Why?, Mount Eerie, and Pedro the Lion. Even better news is the fact that you can download the whole thing over at cllct.com. How about I tell you the best news about the album then? Here goes: It's good.

Bad Bad Things (Andrew Jackson Jihad Cover)
"And then I grabbed the knife and I let the blood out of your throat
And I smashed those tiny mirrors inside of your skull
And I got to thinking: if I don't go to hell when I die I might go to heaven"

Simeon's Dilemma (Why? Cover)
"But I still hear your name in wedding bells
Will I look better or will I look the same rotting in hell?
You're the only proper noun I need; hurry."

First Day of My Life (Bright Eyes Cover)
"This is the first day of my life
Glad I didn't die before I met you
Now I don't care, I could go anywhere with you and I'd probably be happy"


Other cool covers that either are or will soon be embarking on a 'round the blog in 80 days mission:


Little Pictures - Buddy Holly (Weezer Cover)

We Are Scientists -
Hoppipolla (Sigur Ros Cover)


Dawn Landes -
Young Folks (Peter, Bjorn and John Cover)


Zooey -
Father to a Sister of Thought (Pavement Cover)


The Twilight Sad -
Half a Person (The Smiths Cover)


Emiliana Torrini -
Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel)


Ian McGlynn -
Mistaken for Strangers (The National Cover)


First Aid Kit - Tiger Mountain Peasant Song (Fleet Foxes)


Winter Gloves -
Someone Great (LCD Soundsystem Cover)




*illustrations on the left by Maxwell Loren Holyoke Hirsch (yes, I know, with that name how can you not be talented?)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eliza,
I have to start off saying Great Blog!!! I think im the only person in the entire world that lovess covers, especially covers of good songs. My favorite song of the album was bad bad things. I love the lyrical content that you pointed out "And then I grabbed the knife and I let the blood out of your throat
And I smashed those tiny mirrors inside of your skull
And I got to thinking: if I don't go to hell when I die I might go to heaven." As i listen to this song over and over again I constantly thank you for posting this blog up and showing me this song. Keep on the good work.

Eliza K. said...

Thanks so much! We're also grateful for the comments we get, so - hey! - every time I remember this post I'll be thanking you as well for putting a smile on my face on this dusty & cloudy morning. :)

Unknown said...

I love the Sarcastic Dharma Society! It's so great that you wrote about them.
Nice blog.